Thursday, February 16, 2012

Let's Learn Programming Logic with PSeInt

My father in his spare time always researches useful tools or applications that can be implemented in his university classes. On this occasion, I found one of those applications quite interesting and innovative. It caught my attention. It is a tool for learning programming logic.

Programming logic has always been a problem for novice programmers. Here comes the classic concept (which I tend to disagree): "Logic is not made, is born". I think there are people that born with it and others that develop it (including those who are on the first scene, can develop this hability much more).

This is where this application, called PSeInt shows on. It is a tool that uses pseudocode to learn programming logic, aimed at inexperienced programmers. This pseudocode can be converted into a flow chart or may be executed either debugged like a normal application.  But a drawback for my English readers is that the application is only available in Spanish.

PSeInt is more than a project. Represents the effort of a group of students, professors and staff from the Universidad Nacional del Litoral (Argentina). I think projects like this should be promoted in our countries in order to improve education with tools that use the latest technology and are available to all who need it.

Among the features that I like are:
  • Cross-platform.
  • Uses an easy language.
  • Availability of help and examples.
  • It allows you to execute and debug the code.
  • Exportation to flowchart.
  • Constant updates.
The following images are screenshots I took from the application:

Image 1.  Main interface of the application.

Image 2.  Exported flowchart from the application.

Image 3.  Execution of an code written in PSeInt.

I try to look for some alternative in English but it was a failure. If you know any similar application do not hesistate to write it on the comments, so I am able to review it and make a new post about it.

References:
  1. Official Web Site - http://pseint.sourceforge.net/
Content Licensed as Creative Commons CC-BY-SA 3.0