Monday, February 27, 2012

What should I do with Adobe Flash on Linux?

Last week, Adobe announced that it will give no more support to new releases of Flash Player on Linux. The 11.2 version will be the latest supported for five years. That's a shame.

Google then add an API called "Pepper" to your web browser. Consequently, Google Chrome is the only one with the ease of integration of Flash Player.

Then I thought, what will the other browsers? That's when I came to mind an open source alternative that we can implement (if you're not such a fan of Google Chrome). This is Gnash.
Gnash is a Flash movie player for GNU. The only drawback I have seen is that you cannot play v10 SWF. Moreover, it is fine. The developer community is very active. Is included in the Fedora repositories.


Digging a bit on the web, looking for more alternatives, I found an application called Lightspark. I have not tested it so I could not tell how good is this application. But equally there is an active community behind it. One feature that liked me a lot is portability. To install Fedora, you must add the RPMFusion repository.

Despite continuing my efforts to find more options for open source Flash player, I had no success. At the end of the day, at least we can use two alternatives. Furthermore, the advent of HTML5 provide more compatibility issues on the web.
Content Licensed as Creative Commons CC-BY-SA 3.0