Sometimes I start think how the world would be without slideshows. Slideshow have been the tool to make presentations since long time. The fact that it have become a 'standard' for presentations is unthinkable to me. No one had develop any alternative?
Searching a little on the web I found a service, at start, looks very interesting. It was Prezi. Prezi is a zoom presentation editor. Its main features are:
- Pan y zooming.
- Media importation.
- Visible on iPad.
- Online and offline mode.
- Colaborative work.
- Work with storylines.
But I was not satisfied. Prezi uses Flash as main platform and it's a payed service. To me it's no scalable and I restarted my investigation. Between search and results, I found that somebody develop other alternative, that looks like Prezi, that at the end managed to fill my necessity of alternate the use of slides: Sozi.
- What is Sozi? Sozi is a small program that can create animated presentations.
- How does it work? Sozi does not work with slides. It is a poster in which its elements can be freely located. At the end, using zooms, pan and rotations, you can focus on these elements.
- How much it cost? It is a 'open source' tool, so there's no cost on it. It is licensed GPL 3.0.
Now I will show an example (obtained from their website) that explains what is Sozi within a Sozi:
These are the features that I loved from this tool:
- It is free and open source.
- Easy to use.
- Does not require third party applications. It is just an Inkscape plugin.
- You can watch your presentations from almost any browser.
- There's no online/offline mode.
- Possibility of doing 'whatever you want', even importing audio/video.