Sunday, October 9, 2011

Testing Fedora 16 "Verne" - Beta

I made the upgrade of my operating system to Fedora 16 (a.k.a. Verne). The first thing I did was update my applications. Then I did the procedures mentioned in this link.

The download size was about 1.2 GB so I waited for it to end. I did not have to do any other commands in particular. When it was over, I restarted my computer to see if it had worked properly.
 

The first thing I noticed was the advance of a grub2 grub. After changing to black at the bottom of plymouth. Then I realized I had changed from the login screen. Now I like Fedora more.

Fedora 16 runs faster than the F15. Another interesting detail is the background. I loved it a lot. The design team did an excellent job. While this is still a Beta version but you can notice the improvement against the F15.

Some features that I have not had the opportunity to try are: 
  • Virtualization.
  • Ada Development.
  • Cloud Tools.
  • Blender 2.5.
  • Other desktops (KDE, XCFE, LXDE). 
Two things seemed strange are that Mozilla Firefox 7.0.1 does not work properly (I tried to debug it, but it did not show any particular error) and the password entry screen that comes after "Lock Screen" appears with the previous theme (gray, not black).

Firefox stopped working after about thirty seconds of execution, avoiding any interaction with its user interface. Then I had to forcibly close it to continue working. I decided to use, as someone fix that problem, Opera.

Also something that I expected not to work was the Broadcom Wireless Adapter driver.  Normally I install it from RPMFusion repos, but right now they do not have the updated package.

Finally I can conclude that it was great to upgrade to Fedora Verne because, like Jules Verne, broke new ground in performance and aesthetics of the operating system.

Later I'll be doing more testing and placing posts if I can solve any of the errors I noticed. 
Content Licensed as Creative Commons CC-BY-SA 3.0