Thursday, July 19, 2012

[Warning] Ubuntu Unity available for Fedora

NOTE: Do it at your own risk. This is only experimental, nothing official.

I'm no fan of Ubuntu Unity, but I think it is worth mentioning that this desktop environment is available for Fedora. A group of openSUSE developers created a repository containing the RPMs required for installation.



The only thing is that when installed, it can replace some components of GNOME with some of Unity. Consequently, we must be very careful. Later I will write a post about my experience with its installation/setting.


Something that I don't like at all, is to retain the Ubuntu logo. I hope later Unity will be sensitive to which distro it is installed.

References:
  1. Ayatana Project.
  2. Repo website.
Content Licensed as Creative Commons CC-BY-SA 3.0